Dental Exam & Preventive Dentistry in San Jose
Damage caused by gum disease or tooth decay can be difficult to reverse, so it is better to halt the progression of these conditions before they negatively impact your smile. Dr. Dick W. Koo, will customize preventive programs that preserve the natural
structure of your mouth, prevent the onset or progress of dental diseases, and keep your smile looking amazing for years to come.
At the office of Dr. Dick W. Koo, our routine dental visits consist of a professional teeth cleaning and a dental checkup. Each is important to preserve the overall health of your teeth and mouth. While most patients benefit from a routine office visit
every six months, some patients require more frequent visits to maintain their dental health and ward off potential problems properly.
The Value of Preventive Care
Preventive dentistry is dedicated to the preservation of the natural dental structures. Preventive measures help avoid complex treatments in the future, as some oral issues will progress to the point where extensive dental care is required. For example,
a simple cavity filling can stop decay that could lead to tooth loss, making tooth replacement unnecessary.
We offer professional cleaning services and X-rays during your regular dental exams, as well as sealants and fluoride treatments to help protect your teeth and enhance your smile. In addition to the cleaning and preventive measures available at our dental
office, we can also provide guidance around a variety of oral care products including mouth rinses, oral irrigators, rubber tip stimulators, tongue cleaners, toothbrushes, dental floss, and interdental cleaners. An oral cancer screening and biopsy may
also be conducted, if necessary.
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are usually performed by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Dental radiographs (x-rays) are essential, preventative, diagnostic tools that provide valuable information not visible during a regular dental exam. Dentists and dental hygienists use this information to safely and accurately detect hidden dental abnormalities and complete an accurate treatment plan. Without x-rays, problem areas may go undetected.
Dental x-rays may reveal:
- Abscesses or cysts.
- Bone loss.
- Cancerous and non-cancerous tumors.
- Decay between the teeth.
- Developmental abnormalities.
- Poor tooth and root positions.
- Problems inside a tooth or below the gum line.
Detecting and treating dental problems at an early stage can save you time, money, unnecessary discomfort, and your teeth!
Biannual exams and cleanings help you stay healthy, but you also need to take care of your smile between visits.
San Jose family dentist Dick W. Koo, DDS, emphasizes patient education. Our practice teaches you how to effectively care for your oral health by demonstrating the proper techniques to brush and floss your teeth. We also
help you understand how foods, drinks, and personal habits affect your smile. Providing a thorough understanding of your oral health means equipping you with the necessary tools to maintain a beautiful and functional smile.
Contact Us for Preventive Dental Care
Dr. Dick W. Koo provides comprehensive cleanings and preventive treatment in San Jose and the surrounding communities. A little prevention now can help you to avoid serious and potentially costly dental problems
in the future.